Saturday 24 December 2016

Merry Christmas

As the year winds to a close this is my last blog of the year. Before staff numbers reduced due to holidays we managed to finish some outstanding jobs, ready to start a new year on the front foot. The remaining section of the 16th ditch was turfed leaving the walls just to do. This is looking great and the team have done a great job. 

All the leaves are now picked up and this again has been a long process but the course is looking really tidy. The recent windy weather will scatter some around the course again , however we will tidy any debris left from the storms when we return to work. 

The greens have all been tined using cross tines to a depth of 200mm. This will definately aid surface drainage, I had noticed slow water penetration during heavy rain. This could be due the use of the rollers which we have used more often instead of cutting which can help reduce stress on the plant during inclement weather. If we do get heavy rains over Christmas we will have a better chance of staying on the summer greens rather than using the winter holes. They were rolled twice following aeration to smooth the surface however I appreciate they won't be as smooth as they were before. Such as the 2nd green which was poor compared to the rest should certainly now see improvements following tining. 
Finally can I say a big thanks to my team for producing such a great course this year and for all the hard work that is put in to give Malton and Norton Golf Club members a course to be proud of. I hope all that have played here have a great Christmas and we will see you again in the new year. 


About Me

Im the Head Greenkeeper at Malton and Norton Golf Club. I began my greenkeeping career at Malton and Norton Golf Club straight from school as an Assistant Greenkeeper. Wanting to climb the greenkeeping ladder I gained my NVQ level 2 and 3 at Askham Bryan College. I continued with my education gaining a HNC in golf course management and took the position of Deputy Head Greenkeeper at Malton and Norton Golf Club in 2005.In 2008 I was promoted to the position of Head Greenkeeper, leading a team of 6 hard working and dedicated Greenkeepers. Our aim is to continue to improve the condition of the course year on year maintaining our high reputation within the area.