Monday 20 May 2013

Back to work and things have certainly changed since I saw the course last, with the rain (32mm last week) softening the surfaces the greens are slightly slower and have started seeding. This is the poa in the green, and can seed down to 1mm so is very difficult to remove and stop seeding. It usually is more of a problem in spring when soil temperatures reach a level which the seeding poa thrives on. Other grasses on the green are starting to grow but at different rates making them look worse than they putt. To help remove some of the 'woolly' growth we double groomed them this morning, followed by an application of fertiliser, wetter, iron, primo and seaweed to help promote healthier growth during this difficult weather period.

We also cut fairways, cut the range, picked up balls, moved holes, cut semi, sprayed off paths and started cutting rough with the tractor mounted deck.

About Me

Im the Head Greenkeeper at Malton and Norton Golf Club. I began my greenkeeping career at Malton and Norton Golf Club straight from school as an Assistant Greenkeeper. Wanting to climb the greenkeeping ladder I gained my NVQ level 2 and 3 at Askham Bryan College. I continued with my education gaining a HNC in golf course management and took the position of Deputy Head Greenkeeper at Malton and Norton Golf Club in 2005.In 2008 I was promoted to the position of Head Greenkeeper, leading a team of 6 hard working and dedicated Greenkeepers. Our aim is to continue to improve the condition of the course year on year maintaining our high reputation within the area.