Monday 3 June 2013

I think its finally here!

Summer could be here, sunshine, warmth, growth and the course looking great. For the coming days it looks like the good weather is here to stay, for a bit. Now we have strong growth we scarified the greens with our thatch away units set at 2mm below flush, this is to remove any organic matter that can form at the surface from dead grass material and to lift and remove lateral growth which can be a problem with bent grasses.

Following a pass with the thatch away units we then cut and groomed the greens with the groomers set at flush at the John Deere greens mower. Finishing with a clean up cut with the other John Deere greens mower. Following this procedure the greens certainly look smooth and given a week of dry weather the surfaces should increase in speed. Later this week I will test them with the stimp meter once more.
Other jobs today were to cut fairways, strim trees, test the irrigation leak fixed at 17th and continue with edging the bunkers.

 
Adam, Rich and Scott hard at it today !

About Me

Im the Head Greenkeeper at Malton and Norton Golf Club. I began my greenkeeping career at Malton and Norton Golf Club straight from school as an Assistant Greenkeeper. Wanting to climb the greenkeeping ladder I gained my NVQ level 2 and 3 at Askham Bryan College. I continued with my education gaining a HNC in golf course management and took the position of Deputy Head Greenkeeper at Malton and Norton Golf Club in 2005.In 2008 I was promoted to the position of Head Greenkeeper, leading a team of 6 hard working and dedicated Greenkeepers. Our aim is to continue to improve the condition of the course year on year maintaining our high reputation within the area.