Monday 23 April 2012

Flooding of the Derwent River

Holes 21 - 24 have been closed for a couple of days now and after even more rain this weekend the River Derwent has began to rise on the golf course. Our lakes on the course are fed from the near by river. They back up until they start to burst their banks. In 2004 the River Derwent rose around 10ft above normal level, this isn't quite as serious but has disrupted course maintenance and play on the low lying holes.


Today we also cut greens, sprayed carbendazim for worm control, serviced the surround mower and continued with edging bunkers.

About Me

Im the Head Greenkeeper at Malton and Norton Golf Club. I began my greenkeeping career at Malton and Norton Golf Club straight from school as an Assistant Greenkeeper. Wanting to climb the greenkeeping ladder I gained my NVQ level 2 and 3 at Askham Bryan College. I continued with my education gaining a HNC in golf course management and took the position of Deputy Head Greenkeeper at Malton and Norton Golf Club in 2005.In 2008 I was promoted to the position of Head Greenkeeper, leading a team of 6 hard working and dedicated Greenkeepers. Our aim is to continue to improve the condition of the course year on year maintaining our high reputation within the area.