Friday 5 October 2012

More rain fell last night which made the course very wet again this morning, we were initially closed until the green staff had cleared the water off the greens. They drained reasonably well after the rain had stopped, however the greens that we had previously cored were a little softer.
This afternoon it dried up well and we started to brush, mat and roll the greens on 1-9 to smooth them down ready for cutting next week. Usually we would not use a heavy roller on the greens however after severe hollow coring I feel this helps re establish the surface firmness. The sand is starting to bed down into the sward and the fertiliser is greening them up aiding recovery.

About Me

Im the Head Greenkeeper at Malton and Norton Golf Club. I began my greenkeeping career at Malton and Norton Golf Club straight from school as an Assistant Greenkeeper. Wanting to climb the greenkeeping ladder I gained my NVQ level 2 and 3 at Askham Bryan College. I continued with my education gaining a HNC in golf course management and took the position of Deputy Head Greenkeeper at Malton and Norton Golf Club in 2005.In 2008 I was promoted to the position of Head Greenkeeper, leading a team of 6 hard working and dedicated Greenkeepers. Our aim is to continue to improve the condition of the course year on year maintaining our high reputation within the area.