Thursday 25 July 2013

Its been a few months since the hedge was removed from between the 18th and 19th holes, now the area has recovered and the leaves are on the trees that were planted, personally I feel is a marked improvement to both holes.
We have still work to do to finalise the change, this winter we have to plant more trees to fill in some of the open areas, move the left hand bunker on the 19th and reshape the 19th fairway to accommodate the new bunker layout.
In the last couple of days we have continued our work on the greens by grooming once more before an application of fertiliser, seaweed, primo, iron and wetter. Each time we apply this mix to the greens I can adjust the quantities slightly to overcome environmental pressures. For example if the weather is dry as it has been recently more wetter can be added, if the grass is growing vigorously more growth regulator can be added. We try and use a similar mix unless needed and adjust the timing between applications to ensure the rate of growth remains constant.

The 4mm of rain we had on Wednesday morning has greened areas up nicely however the forecast was for much more, a little every now and again is just perfect for me. With Captains Days this weekend we should have the course in good shape, hopefully staying dry!

About Me

Im the Head Greenkeeper at Malton and Norton Golf Club. I began my greenkeeping career at Malton and Norton Golf Club straight from school as an Assistant Greenkeeper. Wanting to climb the greenkeeping ladder I gained my NVQ level 2 and 3 at Askham Bryan College. I continued with my education gaining a HNC in golf course management and took the position of Deputy Head Greenkeeper at Malton and Norton Golf Club in 2005.In 2008 I was promoted to the position of Head Greenkeeper, leading a team of 6 hard working and dedicated Greenkeepers. Our aim is to continue to improve the condition of the course year on year maintaining our high reputation within the area.