Thursday 1 November 2012

Today the course was closed due to 22mm of rain last night. After we had pushed the water off the greens, Adam and myself surveyed a number of greens to determine the best solution to solving the drainage problems we have been experiencing this year. Some of the greens which are built up from the surrounding land can be altered to help let water run off, keeping them drier. The 9th and 15th green is more of a problem and we concluded that a single drain will have to installed running through the wet spots. These will be connected to existing drains near the green.
Rich, Alistair, Scott and Adam began some small drainage jobs on the 9th and 10th fairway, Existing drains were found and new trenches dug to incorporate the low, wet areas.

Rob and Will continued strimming around trees and this afternoon I continued blowing leaves across the course. With the rain out of the way the sun shone creating a sense that the course is drying out once more.

About Me

Im the Head Greenkeeper at Malton and Norton Golf Club. I began my greenkeeping career at Malton and Norton Golf Club straight from school as an Assistant Greenkeeper. Wanting to climb the greenkeeping ladder I gained my NVQ level 2 and 3 at Askham Bryan College. I continued with my education gaining a HNC in golf course management and took the position of Deputy Head Greenkeeper at Malton and Norton Golf Club in 2005.In 2008 I was promoted to the position of Head Greenkeeper, leading a team of 6 hard working and dedicated Greenkeepers. Our aim is to continue to improve the condition of the course year on year maintaining our high reputation within the area.